Friday, April 10, 2020

Laura Listens to her Inner Voice




I often ask myself, "How did Laura Ingalls Wilder get through hard times?"  The Ingalls family didn't lack challenges.  There were sudden blizzards, cute/devilish boys, and shoes with lots of buttons.  During this period of self-quarantine, I decided to reread The Long Winter to discover - What Would Laura Do?

Can you spot the luddite?
Chapter 9 begins with Laura dreading school. Poor girl is heavy hearted.  Whoa.  I am also heavy hearted about school.  

I am a low tech teacher - not a total luddite, but close.  I want my students holding actual books and turning pages.  Now I facilitate Distance "Learning" from my laptop.  I don't know if my students are comprehending their books or if they are even reading.  I am unable to scour library shelves and put books in their hands.  It makes my heart sigh.  I will never take forgranted the simple act of sitting next to students and reading together.


Imagine wearing these all day.  Not very practical for farm work or blizzards.
Thank goodness for Sloggers (I just ordered a pair).  VERY practical for all your farming needs.
Despite her dread, Laura gets ready for school.  She puts on her woolen winter dress and Sunday hair ribbons.  There is a tense moment when Carrie loses a button off her shoe.  Before even looking for the button, Laura immediately says, "We must take a button off Mary's shoe."  (LIW Refresher:  Mary doesn't go to school because she is blind.  Laura resents Mary because Mary has blonde curls and Laura has straight brown hair.")  Luckily, Ma finds the button, sews it on, and shoos the girls out the door.


Where is Cap's fashing grin in this photo?  Laura admitted, in later years, that she had a crush on Cap.  Laura and Cap never dated, though Cap did date Laura's friend, Mary Power. 
Laura's friend and Cap's love interest, Mary Power
Laura and Carrie bravely make their way to school.  The school house is on the open prairie with no surrounding buildings (remember this).  Two boys are playing baseball in front of the school.  A boy with yellow hair and a flashing grin throws Laura a curve ball.  Gasp.  Laura catches the ball and immediately feels ashamed of her unladylike action.   It turns out the dynamic yellow haired boy is Cap Garland.  (Is Cap short for something?  Like Captain?)  Cap's sister, Florence Garland, is the teacher.  Laura is enraptured with the school's 12 desks.  "All the desks were patent desks, made of wood varnished smooth as glass."  

Laura and Carrie end up looking forward to school days.  One day, there is suddenly no sunshine and a gust of wind crashes into the school house.  "The blizzard was scouring against the walls and the winds squealed and moaned in the stovepipe."  Laura is immediately transported back to Plum Creek when a blizzard hit unexpectantly and Pa lived in a snowbank for three days.  

Miss Garland is from out East and has never experienced a blizzard.  She grapples with if she should cancel school.  Laura wants to tell Miss Garland what to do and imagines having to burn all the shiny desks to stay warm.  Fortunately, Mr. Foster (the man who owns the ox team - - - if that means anything to you) arrives to lead everyone back to town.  


Dory - aquatic Laura Ingalls Wilder
The group ventures out into the violent blizzard.  Soon they are struggling, staggering, and feeling smothered.  "We can't go on this way," Laura thought.  Funny, I have that same thought a minimum of 7 times a day.  But I realize, like Laura, there is no choice but to carry on.  

Laura sees Cap leave the group.  She realizes he is headed towards Main Street, but the group is following Miss Garland to the open prairie.  Now, I would love to say Laura listens to her inner voice and follows Cap, but she doesn't.  "Laura did not dare follow him.  She must take care of Carrie and Teacher had told them to follow her." 

Thank goodness Laura bumped into the Mead Hotel moments later.  Beyond the hotel was nothing but prairie and now the group is able to navigate to their homes.  

Laura and Carrie's coats are driven with ice and their eyelids are bleeding.  But Ma says, "Alls well that ends well" and hands the girls ginger tea.  The chapter ends with Laura's thoughts - "She could not imagine that Heaven was better than being where she was, slowly growing warm and comfortable, sipping the hot, sweet, ginger tea . . . "


WWLD Summary
  • Dress up for school.  Ribbons optional
  • Carry on - especially when you don't want to 
  • Act ladylike 
  • Listen to your inner voice - it could know something!
  • Drink tea and appreciate Heaven on Earth
Oh dear.  See you tomorrow for chapter 10 - "Three Days' Blizzard.

Prairie Eydie

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree about reading Books the traditional way. I love the smell and look of books. I agree we should not take reading in person for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I have been listening to the Harry Potter series on Audible - and we are LOVING it! (I have read the "paper" version, but Lulu hasn't.) But, I will always have a paper book next to my bed.

    ReplyDelete