Wednesday, April 15, 2020

"Pa Goes to Volga" Chapter 11

I often ask myself, "How did Laura Ingalls Wilder get through hard times?"  The Ingalls family didn't lack challenges.  There were wildcat men and snowed in trains.  During this period of self-quarantine, I decided to reread The Long Winter to discover - What Would Laura Do?



Chapter 11 - "Pa Goes to Volga"

The chapter begins with the 3 day blizzard ending.  The Ingalls are in good spirits.  Ma is enjoying the sunshine and  Mary is luxuriating in stillness.  Sadly, no one is hearing the sound of the train whistle.  


And you think YOU'VE have a hard winter.

Pa gathers some info and tells the family, "Train was stopped by the snow filled big cut near Tracy."  Pa has been asked to go to Volga on a hand cart with 5 other men.  The men will clear the track as the train chugs along.  Pa humbly announces, "It is only 50 miles."  

Wait! What?  50 miles!  My city recently put sidewalks in my neighborhood and I am still annoyed.  I have a corner lot and hate shoveling.  I have a snowblower, but it scares me.  Once, I didn't use the choke properly and the engine ran "too rich."  That caused a small-motor-meltdown.  Previous  small-motor-meltdowns were centered around an innocent weed wacker.  Next time Wisconsin is dealt a snow storm, I can remember Pa shoveling 50 miles of train track.  It is all about reframing.

On the way to school, Laura and Carrie stop to watch Pa and the other men on the handcart.  They are pumping, rolling, and shoveling along.  Pa is keeping spirits up by singing a motivating song.  Two and a half days later, Pa returns to DeSmet on a work train.  He is still singing that earworm of a tune!
"If the Devil's in the way,
We will roll it over him,
And we WON'T drag On beHIND!"


Mr. Edwards would be a great guest at any dinner party. 
Surprise!  Pa has brought Mr. Edward home with him.  All you Bonnetheads will remember Mr. Edwards from the book, Little House on the Prairie.  Mr. Edwards traveled 40 miles to meet Santa Claus in Independence, Kansas.  He brought Laura and Mary each a shiny tin cup and a stick of candy.  Upon seeing Mr. Edwards again - Laura says, "He was the same tall, lean, lounging wildcat from Tennessee."


Prairie Eydie and "Mr. Edwards" (aka Ellen)
Don't we all have a friend like Mr. Edwards?  Someone you are always happy to hear from and who will go the extra mile for you?  My Mr. Edwards is Ellen.  Even though 1,924 miles separate us, we connect almost everyday.  We are always happy to hear each other's voices.  You would think some joy would have lessened, but it hasn't.  Ellen helps me be my best self.  I can't tell you how many times I have gone on a jog, signed up for the class, spoken my truth or enjoyed a long laugh after talking with Ellen.  I challenge you to call, text, or send a card to your "Mr. Edwards."  These friends deserve to be celebrated. 


The real Mr. Edwards' name was Edmund Mason.   He was born in England (not
Tennessee) in 1846 and died in Kansas in 1906.  I wonder if he ever made it to Oregon?
NOT the real Mr. Edwards. (This is Victor French - the man who played Mr. Edwards on the Little House on the Prairie TV series.)   
Mr. Edwards is heading to Oregon because the Dakotas are "too settled up."  A tax collector had stopped by Mr. Edward's claim shanty and that was the final nudge he needed to pack his bags.  Mr Edwards wisely said, "Politicians are worse pests than grasshoppers."  

Chapter 11 ends on a happy note.  Mr. Edwards has left a 20 dollar bill on Mary's lap.  The money more than doubles Mary's college fund!  As usual, Ma sums it up best - "He has a heart of gold."

WWLD:

  • Enjoy reconnecting with friends
  • Reminisce about the good time


See you soon for Chapter 12 - "Alone."

Prairie Eydie


Millie, my former role model and current Bonnethead, waking up to seize the day. 

     

2 comments:

  1. I love the WWLD advice reconnect with friends and reminence. Extra important especially right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At school, Laura had made friends with Mary Power and Minnie Johnson. I feel sad that Laura couldn't hang out with her friends due to the blizzards. Up to this point, Laura didn't have many friends outside of her family. We are so fortunate to have technology to keep us in touch with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete