Thursday, June 15, 2017

The Art of Talking to Your Dad - Part 1

Prairie Pa and Prairie Eydie.  Father's Day 2016.  

I was talking to a friend the other day about how my dad is even more important in my life as I age.  How is this possible?  I am 49 years old and no longer need my dad to slip me 20 dollars or to say "Yes" when my mom says "No."  (Not that he ever did.)


I mean.  Did the band even know she was on the boat?

When I was younger, I didn't sit around talking to my dad.  Like - no way.  I was busy planning my sequence of awesome sweaters to wear to high school.  Or discussing the latest Duran Duran video with my best friend.  (Just who was that lynx of a painted woman prowling around the sailboat while the band sang "Rio"?) Now Dad and I talk all the time on the phone.




A great beach read.  

This time of year gardening and book recommendations are hot topics.  Dad wants me to finish reading Moscow Nights because it is super interesting and educational.  But, I am in the middle of Anne of Green Gables and Marilla just unfairly accused Anne of stealing her amethyst brooch.  Poor Anne almost missed the Sunday School picnic!  It also took several conversations to decide if I should top off my front garden bed with compost this year.  (The answer is "no" because we finally remembered we did that last year.) 


Back when Dad was impressing the neighbors with his mad begonia skills.

Dad and I always hit upon certain topics.  The grand kids, Costco, and the funniest parts of Car Talk.  (For all you Car Talk fans, our favorite line to quote is:  "It only works if the answer is 2."  Ha. Gets me every time.) I call him weekly, after getting the Aldi's flier. I like to update him on produce deals.  When I do this, Dad always pretends he doesn't know who he is talking to. For years I passionately scorned Aldi's, but I love Aldi's now that I am on a budget.  Weekly, I dutifully push a quarter into the slot to get a shopping cart and enter the dimly lit world of Aldi's where there are European cookies and Tika masala in the same aisle and dead flower bouquets at the checkout.  



And once again - Harry takes the lead!!! 
Prairie Pa in second and Prairie Eydie trailing behind.

One very important conversation we had was Dad talking me out of continuing my hot yoga practice.  Last summer I went to the yoga studio during a Wisconsin heat wave and it took me 18 hours to cool down.  Dad and I are now founding members of "The Harry Truman Walking Club."  It is less likely for my heart to explode if I am just briskly walking around the neighborhood.

Sunday is Father's Day.  I have many friends whose dads have passed on.  Too soon.  Can I say how enjoyable it is to hear stories about my friends' dads?  Shared love always percolates through the stories.  The kids and I are going to spend Sunday with my dad, so I won't need to call him.  BUT, feel free to call me if you want to talk about your dad.  I would love to hear stories about your dad, even the ones I have heard before.

Prairie Eydie  

    


2 comments:

  1. I always loved that your Dad let us use his typewriter at your house. That may be a faulty memory--it may not have been his--or he may not have known we were using it, come to think about it. Ha. But funny/sweet are the memories I have of other people's parents. Absolutely love this post and how much you enjoy your adult relationship with your father. Much love to Pa Gremmer on Father's Day and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was his secretary's typewriter. I am not sure if I ever asked permission to use it. But, we really needed it to keep F.O.M.G (Friends of Mark Goodman) running smoothly. I will be sure to pass the love on to Prairie Pa. :-) Thanks Jen!

    ReplyDelete