Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Art of Being a Mentor - Part I


Friday was my last day of school, completing 26 years in education. Before leaving for the day, I moved classrooms (again), posted my grades, and reluctantly said good-bye to friends & students. (Oh okay.  I also enthusiastically bid adieu to a few students.)   

I have taught everything from Head Start to 8th grade science to a gifted 2nd/3rd grade split class.  I have been reminiscing about the talented teachers who mentored me along my journey.  Now-a-days, beginning teachers are assigned a mentor.  It is all very organized and involves unpacking Common Core standards and critiquing the Growth Mindset.  (Actually I have no idea what their meetings involve, other than talking earnestly in the library.)  


Me two or three years into my teaching career.  I was wearing my roommate's clothes, my mom's pin, and quite possibly some bottle cap earrings.  (I still wear bottle cap earrings.)  Surprisingly, I now make enough money to buy my own clothes and jewelry - although I am still not above borrowing from mom.     

Back in the day, you had to scrounge up your own mentor.  I was a pro at finding mentors because I didn't know what I was doing.  Being the one in charge can cause both anxiety and hysteria. I also wanted to be the best teacher possible and that always involves learning from others.   

Let me tell you about my first mentor, Cari.  She was a veteran 2nd grade teacher who was beloved by both students and parents.  Cari  ate spinach out of a can, had two desk drawers full of stickers and mints, and rarely took school work home.  She applied a fresh coat of lipstick during morning and afternoon recess.   (I am in awe of anyone who remembers to reapply lipstick.)


Cari and I celebrating Christmas at her house.  Super good mentors will always make you dinner.  Again, I am wearing my roommate's clothes.   

 Here are some invaluable bits of knowledge I learned from Cari.  (Let it be noted, that none of this was taught in college.) 

  • Three weeks before the end of the school year, start a folk dancing unit.  Folk dancing is active, yet controlled.  I remember checking out a record (Yes, it was a record.) from the library called - "Folk Dances From Around the World."  We danced our way through Belgium and Japan and Appalachia.  There are no student (or teacher) melt downs when you are promenading to the finish line.  

  • Fill all the wall space with projects before Parent/Teacher conferences.  This way parents will be distracted and forget to bring up that one play ground incident.  I remember asking Cari about a bee art project that suddenly appeared by her door.  The bees were huge and puffy because they were stuffed with newspaper.  (We used to stuff everything with newspaper back then.)  The bees had HUGE googly eyes and menacing stingers.  
Me:  I didn't know you were studying bees.
Cari:  We aren't.  I just had some space to fill in before conferences.  Me:  What are you doing now?
Cari:  Typing up some "Bee Facts" for kids to learn so I am not ratted out.


  • On the day before Halloween assign an impossibly detailed Haunted House drawing.  Give strict parameters, such as - your Haunted House must contain 1 spider, 2 witches, 3 cauldrons (Have students look up "cauldron" if they are unsure.  Back then, there were two shelves of battered dictionaries in every classroom.)  This assignment is very versatile and can be adapted to any any holiday.



Cari also taught me how to connect with kids, grade workbooks without taking them home, and how to plan a successful field trip.  All valuable skills.  Cari faithfully mentored me even though she didn't have to.  (Did I mention how time consuming I was at that time in my life?)  She always put aside whatever she was doing to listen to me and make suggestions.

Who are your mentors helping you out along the way?  I suggest buying them a pricey card and letting them know how valuable they are.  Cari should be getting her card at this time next week.  

Prairie Eydie  




     

No comments:

Post a Comment