Sunday, June 25, 2017

More of "What I Know for Sure"


Here is a bonus "What I Know for Sure".  (I told you I was just getting started!)  

You don't have to do everything perfect.  It is more important to just jump in and start.  I am really good at NOT thinking things through, so this is easy for me.  Take my approach to gardening.

This is my 4th year planting raised garden beds.  You'd think I would know what I was doing?  I mean, it has been 4 years.  I am happy to tell you I am still making mistakes and still growing veggies.  Here is a tour of this year's mistakes:


The dominant plant in this bed is the zucchini.  See that scrappy viney plant in the background?  That is a cantaloupe plant.  I am told both plants will go crazy and take over my yard.  It will be hard to mow the grass and they could even infringe on the neighbor's yard.  Havoc will ensue.  EEK!  My plan is to make the neighbor some zucchini muffins and let her pick the cantaloupes on her property.     





Oh man!  This one is painful.  Look at those HUGE tomato plants shading those poor basil plants.  Plus, look at all the wasted space between the basil plants.  I am going to buy some more basil plants today to fill in the lonely gaps.





Even though I made mistakes, I am already harvesting zucchini and I won't have to buy kale until November.  If I had waited until I knew everything about raised bed gardening, I wouldn't already be enjoying fresh, organic veggies.  



Now, get out there and do something!  It doesn't have to be perfect, you just have to start.

Prairie "Know It All" Eydie

2 comments:

  1. You sure are sure you know things. I'm not quite as confident as you yet, but as I get older, I've noticed that most of what gets people (ex. My younger self) worked up doesn't actually matter. So, I guess I know that all people and critters, kindness, and love matter. Most other things seem to be distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait until you are 49, Kristen, you will be a big know it all like me! ;-) I totally agree with you that kindness and love matter the most. Maybe I need to start blogging on what I don't know.

    ReplyDelete