Sunday, August 12, 2018

The Art of Nonnegotiables

This summer I am taking time to inspect my nonnegotiables.  You know - those things you swore you would absolutely never consider.  Sadly, sometimes what you resist is exactly what you need. 


Here is a short list of my nonnegotiable:
  • I don't run.  It hurts my knees.  I haven't run anywhere since High School, except to chase and catch my cats when they sneak outside to binge and purge on grass.
  • It don't camp.  I tried camping with my kids once and it was bananas - but in a bad way.  It was SO hot.  The kids were dripping sweat and bugs kept landing on them.  The thought of a campfire was more sickening than my whining about how hot it was.  
  • I don't do any "lifestyle makeover" that restricts my coffee consumption.  I can't stand hearing about people replacing coffee with green tea or hot water and lemon.  (OH!  I just thought of another nonnegotiable, I don't hangout with people who replace coffee with green tea or hot water and lemon.  Who wants to meet for hot water and lemon?  These are probably the same people who list scones as their nonnegotiables.)
  • I don't stay out past 9:00 PM, unless there is a really good reason.  Like Bruce Springsteen inviting me over for a nightcap.

In June, I took on the nonnegotiable of running.  My son needed to train for a Boy Scout fitness badge, so, on a whim, I joined him.  We would briskly walk to a nearby park and alternate between running and walking around a large field.  Surprise.  My knees didn't hurt and I enjoyed setting new goals; plus, my son would loudly hum the theme from Rocky.  

My son earned his fitness badge and lost interest in running with me, so I downloaded a running app (Couch to 5K) to my phone.  It is a nine week running program that gets you ready for a 5K.  Three weeks later, I am still on week one of the program and that is okay.  I will be ready to run my 5K in 27 weeks.

Prairie Eydie, every champion was once a contender who refused to give up.  Remember, Rocky is in your corner.    

Truth?  I recently went camping and it was bananas in a good way.  Just to be clear, giving up coffee and staying out past 9:00 PM are still definite nonnegotiables.   What are your nonnegotiables?

Prairie Eydie





5 comments:

  1. Running and giving up alcohol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens Erica - if I can run you can run. Rocky and I believe in you! I have found, as a mother, that running is super convenient. I don't have to drive somewhere, pay for a gym I can't affort, and be gone for long periods of time. As for the alcohol, you shouldn't look at that nonnegotiable until your kids are much older. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...
    1. Mac and cheese will forever be a staple in my diet
    2. Elf and Muppet Christmas Carol on repeat, starting as early as November
    3. I don’t do karaoke. Ever. You’re welcome.
    4. Pets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonnegotiables 2, 3, and 4 make perfect sense. I bet you will look at #1 when you hit your forties. ;-)

    ReplyDelete