Sunday, August 19, 2018

The Art of Enjoying Aging



I turned 50 in February.  I was too sick on my birthday to either celebrate or lament.  I  don't really mind being 50, but I would love to travel towards embracing 50.  There is absolutely no reason not to. 

Things I Enjoy About Aging  

Wearing the cloak of invisibility.  People stop noticing you as you age.  If I want to run to Target in my jammies and a hoodie, I can because I melt into the background.  The younger crowd can worry about skinny jeans and spotlights.  

This summer's tome clocks in at a startling 759 pages.  No ordinary time indeed.
Enhanced curiosity.  I can read books about history and enjoy them.  The world outside of myself is very interesting to me now.  Of course, it would be nice if these books weren't all TOMES.  I am averaging about one book a year.  As I read the books, I often stop and reflect if I learned the information in school.  It seemed my history classes never made it past WWII.  

(Last summer, per Prairie Pa's recommendation, I read the book Moscow Nights by Nigel Cliff.  It was hard to focus on Van Cliburn's life because I was focused on rereading Anne of Green Gables.  If you missed last summer's drama, follow the link to catch up: The Art of Talking to Your Dad - Part 2 )  




Knowing the same people for a long time.  I have known many of my friends for over 30 years.  I LOVE that!  They know my history because they lived it with me.  We stir up the old stories, yet always leave room to mix in new memories.    

Freedom from repeating (some) mistakes.  I am starting to actually learn the lessons that I have been taught over the past 50 years.  For example:  I am believing people when they show me who they are.   If someone is acting self-centered, chances are they are a self-centered person.  No need to give them 10,000 chances to shape-up.  Accept who they are and move on.





This was my first album.  
This was the back of the album.  I spent a lot of time cobbling together what his album concept really meant.  

Being Prairie Eydie.  I no longer pretend to enjoy things that I don't enjoy.  Age gives you the opportunity to be you.  Just so you know, I don't like festivals, Halloween, or wearing shorts.  But I DO love Billy Joel, Christmas, and skirts.  


What do you enjoy about aging?  


Prairie Eydie  






    

No comments:

Post a Comment