Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Epilogue: The Art of Conversation

Already, so much good has come from my "The Art of Conversation" post.  (Here is the link if you happened to miss it:  The Art of Conversation)

My dad, Prairie Pa, sent pictures of the chicken coop he lived in over 50 years ago with my mother.  


This is NOT what I expected the chicken coop's innards to look like.  My parents never mentioned it was a McMansion Coop.  The coop is now being used as a storage shed.  I am guessing because it isn't up to code. 


Prairie Pa and the chicken coop's owner.  Maybe HGTV would like to feature the coop on an upcoming episode of "Fixer Upper." 

WARNING for those of you planning to ask your family deeper questions.  It takes time to build up to asking meaningful questions and I do not recommend springing them out of nowhere.  I know this from experience.

Earlier this summer, I asked Prairie Pa what he most enjoyed about being a father.  I thought he'd say either "Watching his three beautiful children grow into outstanding citizens" or "Knowing his competent daughter could make a top notch cup of coffee."  Here is how the conversation went:

Me:  Dad, what do you most enjoy about being a father?

Tick tock. Tick tock. Nervous cough from Prairie Pa.  Crickets.  Crickets.

Me:  Dad?  Did you hear me?  

Prairie Pa:  I don't know.  I never really thought about it.

WHAT?!!?  He never thought about it?  Being a glutton for punishment I decided to ask my mom the same questions.

Me:  Mom, what do you most enjoy about being a mother?

L-O-N-G Pause

Prairie Ma:  I really liked it when you and Heidi threw me a surprise birthday party.  

My conclusion from these conversations is that I am taking motherhood way too seriously.  No need to ruminate on if I am spending enough quality time with my children or if I am creating a joyful home environment or if there are enough stimulating books on the shelves.  I am free.  Thanks mom and dad! 

Dear, dear children.  This is the cake I would like to be served at my surprise party.

I am off to visualize my ultimate surprise party.

Prairie Eydie

  

1 comment:

  1. Your small small tips are really helpful for newbies like me.
    i99bet

    ReplyDelete