Friday, July 10, 2020

Prairie Eydie's Long Winter Reflection - Part 2


The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder has given me much to reflect on.  Today concludes my top 10 list of favorite "What Would Laura Dos," from The Long Winter

Reconnect with Old Friends

Laura enjoyed reconnecting with her friend, Mary Power, when the blizzard winds stopped shrieking.  After living an isolated life, it must have been wonderful to connect with a friend. 
Prairie Eydie and Jenny - back when social distancing wasn't a thing.
The pandemic gives me time for long, meandering phone calls.  Last week I caught up with my childhood friend, college roommate and life long "sister," Jenny.  We have the magical ability to pick up as if no time has passed.  Our conversation flowed through topics from gardening, the Gifted and Talented program, book titles, and our children.  It is a gift to be connected to people from your past. 

Who can you reconnect with today?


Laura listened to her inner voice and prioritized hanging curtains.  
Listen to Your Inner Voice

Laura's inner voice told her she belonged on the prairie.  Her inner voice strongly complained about leaving the shanty for Pa's storefront in town.  Remember the many times Pa's inner voice told him to prepare for a difficult winter.

Pa Listens to his Inner Voice in Chapter 3

Finally I am in my fifties and listening to my inner voice more.  My inner voice tells me to embrace who I am - a thrifter, writer, collager, and mom.  The same voice tells me it is okay to dislike brunch, outdoor festivals and petunias.  (I still feel free to ignore my inner voice and continue to make poor decisions from time to time.)  

What is your inner voice telling you?

Get Some Exercise - Outside

On blizzardless days, Laura would take Mary on walks outside of town.  They would breathe in cold air and feel the sunshine on their faces.  And.  Their spirits would be lifted.  (Poor Ma never joined the girls on their walks.  She would have benefited most of all.)


Most days I get my exercise by alternately running and walking outside.  I run for 60 seconds and then I walk for 90 seconds.  I used to worry about how silly I looked.  A middle aged woman lurching along, wearing a tank emblazoned with the phrase, "Strong is the New Skinny."  Fortunately my inner voices commends me for getting outside and moving.  Like Laura, I breath fresh air, enjoy flowers, and my spirits are lifted.
One of my Marilyn collages.  There is nothing I better than scissors, scraps, and a jug of Mod Podge.
Find a Creative Project

We found out in Chapter 18, "Merry Christmas," that Laura enjoyed needlework.  She used fine threads to embroider thin, silver cardboard.  Who could forget Laura's generous spirit when she gifted Ma an embroidered hair receiver and Carrie a cross stitched picture frame?  (Alright.  In case you did forget, click on the link below)

Chapter 18 - Laura's Creative Spirit Shines


Laura's hands grew too rough, from twisting hay, to work with fine embroidery thread.  When the Christmas barrel arrived, it included embroidery silks and sheets of thin silver and gold colored cardboard.  Ma gave the supplies to Laura.  "Laura was so happy that she couldn't say a word.  The delicate silks caught on the roughness of her fingers scarred from twisting hay, but the beautiful colors sang together like music, and her fingers would grow smooth again so that she could embroider on the fine, thin silver and gold."

I have been using my extra time to create.  If you don't know what to do for fun, remember what you did for fun when you were 10.  When I was 10, I loved to write, read Laura Ingalls books, and cut out pictures from Tiger Beat magazine.  So, it makes sense I spend my days blogging about Laura and collaging. 

What did you like to do when you were 10?  Draw horses?  Write melodramatic poetry?  Organize drawers?  Build with Lego?  Bring some creative fun back into your life!

Play Some Games

Ma was the master of organizing mood-lifting competitive games.  Remember that barn burner when Laura, Mary and Carrie recited as many Bible verses as they could remember?

Chapter 13 - Ma Takes on the Role of Game Master

As the pandemic marches on, I have stopped playing games with my kids.  In Spring, I was playing Scrabble, Zeus on the Loose, and Cribbage.  It is time to channel Ma and get the good times rolling again.

What games do you enjoy playing with your family?


Join me next week as I glean more "Laura Gems" from the book, "Little Town on the Prairie."  You won't want to miss it!

Prairie Eydie
















2 comments:

  1. I love so much of this. How important it is to embrace your inner voice and reconnect with old friends. You are absolutely right this is a gift. Your strategy of running and walking made me smile. I do the same thing I call it ralking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow running and walking seems more like a real thing when it is called - ralking. :-)

      Delete