Monday, July 13, 2020

Chapter 1 - "Surprise"

I often ask myself, "How did Laura Ingalls Wilder get through hard times?" The Ingalls family didn't lack challenges. 

They lived in poverty and needed to break sod to plant wheat. (Recently, I did some landscaping and breaking sod isn't easy! It would be even worse for Pa, since prairie grasses have LONG roots.)  

During the Covid-19 pandemic, I decided to reread Little Town on the Prairie to discover - What Would Laura Do?


Little Town on the Prairie
Chapter 1 - "Surprise"

The book begins with Pa asking Laura if she would like to work in town. His question creates a standstill to the Ingall's meal of bread and tea. He may as well have asked if Laura would like to train elephants!


Young pioneers, like Carrie and Grace, enjoyed cambric tea. Cambric tea contains just a splash of tea. The remaining ingredients are sugar, hot water, and heated milk or cream. I wonder how it would taste iced?

Starbucks should feature cambric tea during Laura's birth month of February.
Ma stops pouring Pa's tea and peppers him with questions. "A job? For a girl? In town?" Ma assumes that Pa wants Laura to work in a hotel among strangers. Pa takes issue with Ma's assumption. "Who said such a thing? No girl of ours'll do that, not while I'm alive and kicking." 


Replica of the claim shanty Pa built for the family. Originally it was one room. Pa later added on two bedrooms that each had a window.  
Laura, of course, doesn't want to work in town. People make her nervous, especially when they look at her. She is busy and happy since the family returned to the claim shanty. I am angry Pa wants Laura to get a job. She is only 14 and just survived a traumatic winter. Pa, and his adventurous pioneer spirit, should have remained a bachelor.           

The one page chapter ends before Pa can explain what the job is. LIW is definitely wielding the art of "Cliff Hangers." 

What Would Laura Do?
  • Take time to think before responding to an alarming question.

Maybe I could get a job in town washing clothes.
See you soon for Chapter 2 - "Springtime on the Claim."

Prairie Eydie

  


2 comments:

  1. Best advice to think before responding to an alarming question. So many times I've just responded to something that I don't want to necessarily answer out of . it's good to remember to pause and know that we have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am learning that I don't have to even answer on the same day the question is asked. I give my students "think time," so I should allow myself the same.

    ReplyDelete