Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Prairie Eydie's LONG WINTER Reflection - Part One


The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder has given me much to reflect on.  I have chosen my top 10 "What Would Laura Dos," from The Long Winter to share with you. 

Maybe I wouldn't hit snooze if I had to sleep on a straw tick.
1.  Get Up and Get Going

This is a reoccurring theme throughout the Little House books.  Laura didn't hit snooze 7 times before rolling off her straw tick.  She jumped out of bed when Ma called and started the day.  Despite the pandemic and having nowhere to go, I still set my alarm.  I come from a long line of early risers and am extremely productive until early afternoon. 

These beauties can be found in South Dakota.  I wonder if Laura saw them.
2.  Feed the Birds

Remember the strange bird Pa found after the October blizzard?  Laura put it in a box and cared for it before setting it free.  (If you want to relive the fun, check out the link below.)

Chapter 4 - "After the Storm" Pa finds a Strange Bird

I recently bought a hummingbird feeder.  Until now I didn't have time to mess around with changing sugar water every couple days.  Now I have time.  My heart skips when I see a hummingbird sipping sugar water and I yell for my kids to come and look.  Hummingbirds are magical and I look forward to their visits.
   
3.  Offer to Help

Laura was a helper.  (Most likely she had the "Disease to Please.)  During the long winter, Laura would help Ma get breakfast on the table and blacken the stove.  Laura helped Pa stomp down hay and twist hay sticks.  Laura was a dream student as she needed minimal direction. 

Chapter 1 - Laura and Pa are "Making Hay While the Sun Shines" 

As a mother, I have been helping my kids for years.  Tables have turned during the pandemic. I have helped my kids help me.  It's a win win.  The kids are now doing laundry, gardening, and cooking.  Since Covid cases are climbing in Wisconsin, I have plenty of time to teach them how to fold fitted sheets and turn compost.    

4.  Share What You Have with Others

The Ingalls freely shared what little food they had with both friends and frenemies (Ewww.  The Masters.).  Remember when Pa said, "When I get those few hills of corn cut, husked, and stored down cellar in a teacup, we'll have quite a harvest."  If you don't remember, click on the link below.  

Chapter 3 - "Fall of the Year"  

I love to share.  The pandemic has been a great time to share books, hand sanitizer, and ideas of shows to binge watch.  (I recommend the book Ordinary Grace, by William Kent Krueger for adults.  Tweens should check out the book The First Rule of Punk, by Celia C. Perez.  If you need hand sanitizer, message me and I will leave some on your porch.  And finally, my daughter and I enjoy watching old seasons of Fashion Runway.)

5.  Notice the Little Things

Laura took joy in the little things - like freshly pressed hair ribbons and Ma's peaceful expression as she darned socks.  LIW writes - "The floor was bright, clean pine boards, and the large room looked very pleasant when Laura and Ma had laid a braided-rag rug before each door."  With a description like that, I want to move into Pa's store on Main Street.

Since the pace of life is slow, I notice bees buzzing around my cone flowers.  I add fresh mint to my water.  I watch as half and half drifts through my iced coffee.  It is all quite lovely.  

So Bonnetheads - share, notice, help, and (most important) get up and get going!  See you soon for Part Two of my Long Winter reflections.

Prairie Eydie


P.S. Also.  Bring magic into your yard and buy a hummingbird feeder.








         

2 comments:

  1. So much to love about this entry. I love top five lists. I love the line I have helped my kids help me. It's beautiful integration between the book and your current life under the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love lists - ever since watching David Letterman's frequent Top Ten Lists. :-) I wish the concept of "helping my kids help me" had revealed itself to me sooner.

    ReplyDelete