Saturday, September 10, 2016

Teacher Resolutions Revisted


I am six days into the school and decided to pause and reflect on how my resolutions for the 2016-17 school year have been going.  (I wanted to reflect in peace and quiet, so I set my alarm clock for 5:30.  Unfortunately, my chatty daughter already has her first cold of the season. She is awake too, sniffling and snuffing, while asking questions.  "Mom, why do people like Clifford?  What does barely mean?  Do you think Costco will have a mermaid costume to fit me?"  Sigh.  My son just wandered by with a bloody nose and wads of Kleenex.  NOTE:  I will have to get up at 4:15 if I want solitude.)

Now, tell me.  What six year old wouldn't want to eat that snotty mixture?

I did not eat lunch out of a bag once this week and feel very proud.  I saw a "Tasty" video, for Chicken Burrito Bowls, on a friend's Facebook page.  The idea was to make the recipe once and have lunches for the week.  The lunches would be neatly stacked in square Tupperware containers.  YES!  This is something I could do.

As I was compiling the ingredients into containers, my children paraded by and mentioned how delicious the burrito bowls looked.  They also reminded me they already had sandwiches twice for dinner that week.  (Humph.  The ingrates failed to mention how  I bought Hawaiian rolls to add variety to the sandwiches.  When I buy things like Hawaiian rolls and Gogurt, I try to forget I ever read Michael Pollan's preachy - In Defense of Food.)

Yeah.  I think Hawaiian rolls have a scary long shelf life, but Gogurt would most likely, probably rot if left on the counter long enough. 

Long story short:  the kids ate the burrito bowls in 8 minutes and I had veggies and hummus all week.  Are you happy Michael Pollan?


Sadly, there was no celebratory cake in the teacher's lounge, so I was unable to test my willpower. Though I am sure it would have been strong. 

 I did not come home with extra energy to give my family.   One night, I forced myself to go return stuff at Target so I wouldn't trundle to bed at 6:30.  I was so tired I didn't even browse the t-shirts at Target.  (I am on the lookout for a t-shirt in my size that says, "Oh Kale No!") But I did manage to do a load of laundry so the boys wouldn't run out of shorts to wear.  Gold star for me! 

Otterly Adorbs.

And for another gold star, I limited the amount of time I watched otters eating kibble on Facebook.

It is going to be a great school year. 

Eydie

No comments:

Post a Comment