Sunday, September 25, 2016

Curious About Podcasts?

Hello Kitty makes everything cute.  Even cell phone addiction.

I somewhat recently upgraded my phone of 7 years to an iPhone 6.  I bought a ridiculously overpriced case for it and actually looked at the available apps (or "buttons" as I was calling them).  I lit up when I  saw the podcast app.  (According to my ex-husband, I had the same app on my old phone but never noticed it.  This may be another reason we didn't last.)  With a little help from my 6 year old daughter, I started subscribing to podcasts.

I would like to share what I have learned from podcasts, so far, with you. 



I learned the anatomy of the a wonderfully nonsensical phrase:  "I know, right?" on the 7 Minute Explainers podcast.  Apparently it can be traced back to the marvelous Tina Fey.  My son and I like to listen to this podcast together before heading off to bed.  Allergies have been explained and we have "met" a woman who ran for president before women could even vote.   

Inhale.  Fold.  Exhale.  Scrub.  Inhale.  Treat stain. Exhale.

Gretchen Rubin (author of The Happiness Project and Better Than Before) and her sister, Elizabeth, have a wonderful podcast called, Happier.  The sisters once discussed using the word "meditation" after tasks you don't like to do.  For example, instead of saying "I am going to do the dishes." you say, "I am beginning my dish washing meditation."  For some reason this tip works with almost everything.  It does not work when cleaning the litter box or emptying the compost bucket.

54 minutes of madcap, automotive high jinx. 

On my dour days, reminders to laugh and not take life so seriously are found with Click and Clack on Car Talk.  I am not particularly interested in cars or car repair, but I have inexplicably been a devoted listener for years.  I have learned that it is super bad if your transmission goes and what happens if you accidently drive your car into a lake with a kayak on top. 

I love the Robcast, hosted by Rob Bell.  I first heard of Rob on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday.  He is a surfing, ex-pastor from Michigan who thinks beneath the surface of spiritual matters and has the ability to rile people up.  Rob has a 5 part series on forgiveness that I have listened to several times.  I need reminders that forgiveness is a gift you give yourself because I lean towards being "grudgy."   




Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert is helpful to souls who need permission to create "stuff."  Liz (if you listen to the podcast enough, you get to call her - Liz) encourages people to follow their curiosity and see where it takes you.  My curiosity has led me to mod-podge, vegetable gardening, and blogging.  Warning.  She uses bawdy language and you shouldn't listen to this podcast when making dinner, if you have small children.  

Being a teacher, I have listened to dozens of podcasts surrounding education.  For some reason, I couldn't stand any of them.  They all made me feel like I was trapped in a staff meeting without coffee.  Maybe my curiosity will lead me to starting a podcast for teachers?

I would love to hear what your favorite podcasts are because I always have laundry and food prep meditations. 

Eydie
   






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the podcast app! I will keep you posted if I find other good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of the recommendations, Jane.

    ReplyDelete