Saturday, September 17, 2016

Sick of Sinuses - Part I



I have been back at school less than 12 days and already have been pummeled with a raging sinus infection.  It happens every September. I know there is nothing more boring than listening to people describe how sick they are (except maybe listening to people sequentially describe their dreams), but please indulge me. 
  • It hurts to blink, so I wear a constant look of surprise and judgment.  My eyes are drying out. 
  • Bending over is painful.  I am just dropping things on the floor and have tripped over a Costco size bottle of dish soap three times. 
  • It hurts to lay down, so I am propped up on a mountain of my daughter's stuffed animals.


I do everything I can to avoid getting sick because I know, as a single mother, I will have to continue taking care of my kids no matter what color my nasal discharge is.  Here are some ways I attempt to keep my sinuses healthy and happy.


Yes, my friends.  I even went into Target like this to buy Kombucha.

Regular acupuncture, cupping, and ear seeds. I wear my ear needles and cute "whiskers" home even though my kids won't look at me.  I am grateful to the swimming Olympians who, once again, introduced cupping to the world stage.  (Didn't anyone remember the rumbles of concern and shock when Gwenyth Paltrow rocked her cupping circles?)  Ear seeds look icky and I wear my hair down when I have them.

I choose to blindly believe every single part of this.

Himalayan salt lamps.  This is a bit far out even for me.  I guess when the salt lamps warm up they send out more negative ions which is a good thing.  Don't ask me why this a good thing because I have no idea.  I was telling my dad about the lamps and how they were going to save me from a parade of antibiotics.  There was a long pause before dad said, "No matter how thin you slice it, it is still baloney."  Hmph.  At least I know where he stands and I am not canceling my order on Amazon for another four lamps.  If nothing else, they look cool. 

The neti pot. Actually I am now reconsidering this health ritual. Last night a friend told me neti pots could cause brain infections if they aren't sterile .  Hmmm.  Maybe I will run my neti pot through the dishwasher today. 



And the most painful path to healthy sinuses?  (Worse than fiery cups stuck on my back?  Worse than seeing my credit card bill after a Himalayan lamp buying spree?)  I drastically reduce the amount of refined sugar I consume.  That means no skinny pumpkin spice lattes.  No chilled chardonnay.  No casual handfuls of candy corn.  My friend, who also suffers from regular sinus infections, summed it up perfectly - "I am the strange one at the potluck who can't eat anything.  I bring a tofu salad that no one else will eat." 

Be sure not to miss Part II of Sick of Sinuses.  You will get the inside scoop on how to manage being a parent while wanting to collapse into a weeping, feverish puddle.

Eydie


 

 

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sad for you that your sinus issues continue to plague you😖 I hope one of your remedies will work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane! If none of these remedies work I am sure I will find some others to try. Like maybe the remedy of retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear your sick....still amusingly funny, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph. We need to make our students wash their hands before and after our classes. Stay healthy!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes leeches. I will add that to my additional remedy list right next to bone broth. They both seem equally "appealing."

      Delete