Thursday, May 7, 2020

Ma Says, "Where There's A Will"

I often ask myself, "How did Laura Ingalls Wilder get through hard times?"  The Ingalls family didn't lack challenges.  There were food and coal shortages, along with an unhealthy reliance on kerosene.  During this period of self-quarantine, I decided to reread The Long Winter to discover - What Would Laura Do?



Chapter 19 - Where There's a Will

The joy of Christmas candy and Youth Companion stories have been forgotten in Chapter 19.  The coal is gone and the Ingalls are burning hay.  LIW writes, "The hay made a quick, hot fire, but it burned away more swiftly than kindling."  When Pa isn't doing chores, he is twisting hay.


It has always bothered me that Pa isn't wearing a hat.  
Laura wants to help Pa twist hay.  He is reluctant because her hands so small.  But, Pa agrees because he cannot twist enough hay by himself.  Unfortunately the lean-to isn't sealed.  Snow blows in through the cracks and drifts onto the floor.  (I wonder why Pa didn't store the hay in the abandoned front room?  Maybe it was too labor intensive since the stable was by the lean-to?)  

LIW includes a drawn out, unclear explanation of how hay is twisted.  I have revisited the paragraph several times and still don't understand.  I can confidently say twisting hay involves lots of tucking, sliding, and holding hay under your elbows.  Pa both instructs and encourages Laura.  "Then slip the ends in between the kinks and let it twist itself back tight.  That's the way!" 

Laura twisted six sticks of hay before her hands were numb with cold and cut from the hay.  She is so proud that she helped her pa.  I, also, love the feeling of being helpful.  There are so many ways to help during a pandemic.  Like asking if your friends/family need anything before going grocery shopping. Or by staying at home.  Or by wearing a mask in public.  These are all helpful gestures.


Yep.  The arrow is pointing at Mead's Hotel.  
This is where the Masters should have been "guests."
NOTE:  You may be wondering if George Masters helped with the chores or the  hay twisting.  The answer is - No.  He did not help.  Even Mary, who was blind, helped twist hay and grind wheat.  I can only imagine sitting in that crowded, resentment filled kitchen every day.  I know forgiveness is a gift you give yourself - but I understand how Laura held on to her Masters' anger. 

The chapter continues with more bad news.  The Ingalls are down to their last loaf of bread.  Ma needs flour.  Pa and Ma banter about the outrageous price of flour before moving onto the divisive topic of kerosene.  Ma is disgusted the family relies on newfangled kerosene for light and wishes she had some good ol' fashioned grease.  Pa seconds her opinion,  "That's so.  These times are too progressive.  Everything has changed too fast."  

Hmmm.  Not hard to imagine what Ma and Pa would think about our reliance on cellphones, air conditioning, and Target.  I channel my inner Ma when saying things like, "When I was a kid the whole family shared one box fan!" or "When I was in college I had to make phone calls after 7:00 PM because it was cheaper.  PLUS, I  typed all my papers on a typewriter." 


What could go wrong?
Pa ventures out to buy flour, but returns with a sack of wheat because there is no flour in the stores.  As a special treat, Pa   
hands Ma a box of yellow axle grease.  Once again, Ma showcases her talents of making do with what is on hand.  The girls use the coffee mill to grind the wheat; then, Ma makes a sour dough starter and bakes some bread.  Ma doesn't need yeast or milk to make a nutty bread.  (I wish LIW would have included a detailed paragraph explaining how this was done.)  Finally, Ma uses the axle grease to make a button lamp.  Pa is smitten.  "You're a wonder Caroline.  It's only a little light, but it makes all the difference."  

The chapter grinds to a dreary conclusion. The family first decides to combine lunch and dinner and then they go to bed to save axle grease and sticks of hay.

WWLD:

  • Offer to help.
  • Listen to elders discuss "the good ol' days"
  • Catch up on beauty sleep.

Horse, you don't know how good you have it.  You could be making multiple trips to the slough to get hay during a blizzard!

See you soon for Chapter 20 - Antelope!


Prairie Eydie

8 comments:

  1. In my youth I tried countless times to replicate the hay twisting, although I think I used grass that had grown up by the house foundation and had been missed by the mower. I don't know why this was so important to me. I guess I thought it might come in handy if we ran out of fuel oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. There is something so interesting about hay twisting. I couldn't wait to get to this chapter! Growing up, I was more interested in making flower crowns than twisting hay. Typical Pisces.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I am definitely going to make "twisting hay" a euphemism for something soon 😂 And that is a huge horse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We could just refer to the pandemic as "Twisting Hay" - they are both so constant. The huge horse lives at Old World Wisconsin - my favorite place to take my children. Lol.

      Delete
  3. I like your ties to being helpful during the pandemic. I realize even during a pandemic how much easier life is now vs then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? We can flick on a light switch and skip finding axle grease. If I am feeling isolated - I can only imagine how Laura was feeling. :-(

      Delete