Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Art of Designing Your Summer - Again



Every May I spend some time designing my summer.  When I say every May, I mean the last three Mays.  (Here is the link if you would like to read about how I designed the summer of 2017 - The Art of Designing Your Summer 2017)


Top Reasons Why You Should Design Your Summer

You can put an end to the August freak out

  • We have all been there.  It is August 23 at 11:33 and you are wearing pajamas streaked with Cheeto dust.  You have perfected the art of sleeping in.  Your main activity is watching Nailed It after your daily Starbucks visit.  You are wondering where the last 9 weeks went.      
This is textual evidence as to why I dislike Amy.  Who says stuff like this?

You can read more.

  • The first summer I read the Harry Potter series and finally figured out what all the fuss was about.  The second summer I reread Anne of Green Gables.  Like Anne, I started day dreaming more and renaming streets around my house.  The Street of the Never Ending Hosta Beds.  The Street of Teens Driving Over the Speed Limit.  This summer I will be rereading the Little Women series.  (WARNING.  Possible spoilers ahead.  But in my defense, Little Women was written 149 years ago)  Will I still cry when Beth dies? Will I still despise Amy?  Will Jo still be my hero?  

Isn't Kelly Rae's studio DELICIOUS???  Please note that "delicious" is not a word that I just throw around.

You can learn new things.
  • This summer, for the first time, I am signing up for an on-line art course.  I am taking a Kelly Rae Roberts class on mixed media.  Finally, I am going to start adding paint to my artwork with the virtual guidance of an artist I admire.  


You can teach someone something (and maybe make your life easier in the process).
  • Like many moms, I am sick of cooking for my three children.  They always want to know what is for dinner and what they should eat for snack and on and on and on.  This summer I am teaching each kid how to make three meals on their own.  If all goes well, they will competently make one dinner a week during the school year.
  • My youngest is an expert flipper (literally & figuratively), so she has already learned how to make pancakes and quesadillas.  The long suffering middle child is learning how to make eggs to order.  His specialty is breakfast sandwiches.  (English muffin, cooked to order egg, bacon, and avocado)   The oldest is a teenager and only graces the kitchen when he is hungry.  I am still working up the energy and patience necessary to teach him because he doesn't want to learn anything about cooking.  His first lesson will be  "How to Cook a Frozen Pizza.  It is a skill that will serve him well. 

You can improve your home.

  • Since I am not handy with a drill, home improvements usually involve me painting something.  Helpful hint:  Use lots and lots of painter's tape if you are a messy.  This summer I am going to paint my kitchen and the front steps.  The sooner I do this the sooner I can stop thinking, "Gee.  The kitchen sure would look better if I paint it.  Blech.  The front steps sure are chipped up."    

By designing your summer, you can also improve your health, social life, and lack-of-yoga.  Let me know what you come up with.

Prairie Eydie

No comments:

Post a Comment