Friday, April 14, 2017

The Art of Aging - Part II

 
Next year I will be 50.  I have been exploring the "Yippees" of aging and now it is time for the "Oh really?  That happens" of aging.
 
Your eyesight is going suddenly start getting worse.  It will begin with you not being able to read menus at restaurants.  You will blame the poor lighting.  It will progress to not being able to read the playing cards for "Killer Bunnies." (This is actually mini blessing.)  You will blame the small print.
 
 
I wanted to look like this in my readers.  Pulled together,  intelligent, with a hip vibe.  I even did a Google search on Oprah's favorite lip colors in preparation for the arrival of my new Peepers. 
 
 After months of squinting at print, holding recipes at arm's length, and debating making an eye exam, it will finally dawn on you to buy readers.  You know, the glasses your third grade teacher wore at the end of her nose.   Months ago, I threw a multi-pack of readers into my cart at Costco (You can find the readers behind the imported cheese and Costco employee handing out samples of prosciutto.) and those worked fine until I decided I wanted to look cooler.  Of course, I turned to  Ms. Oprah Winfrey for wisdom.  After a 15 second Google search, I ordered the readers Oprah recommended (Peepers Specs) and anxiously awaited their arrival.  
 
 
None of that pulled together, intelligent, hip vibe carried over.  Sigh.  I don't even think the right lip color would help.
 

I seem to be channeling more of the "Professor Trelawney Vibe" from the Harry Potter movies.  Definitely NOT what I was shooting for. 

 
My new readers arrived on a Friday afternoon and I took it as a sign I was going to have an amazing weekend.  That euphoria lasted until I put the readers on.  They were and are HUGE!  I would definitely not be able to wear them at school, where I desperately need them for read alouds. (Imagine the nicknames my students would come up with.) I have since decided that they are amazing readers because they are so large.  They magnify everything in my range of vision and don't look too bad with my jammies as they will remain my "Stay at Home" readers.
 
 
 
 
Moving on.  You will find yourself not being chosen to serve on committees at work.  You will take on an invisibility - as if wearing an invisibility cloak.  (Again, you Harry Potter fans know what I am talking about.)  My personal invisibility cloak turns me into a veteran teacher, who drives a  Honda van, and eats too much trail mix which is why she has embraced  Costco stretchy jeans. 
 
When I was younger teacher, I was often chosen to be on committees, lead initiatives, and pilot educational programs.  I am not sure if being passed over for interesting assignments is due to my disinterest in technology (Did you know Steve Jobs didn't give his kids ipads?) OR if it is due to my age.  Hopefully it isn't due to my cranky personality before 8th hour.   More on this in a later post.
 
 
I couldn't resist.  If you are not a Harry Potter fan, you need to become one.  I too resisted for many, many years.  (19 to be exact.)
 
Years ago, I was at a coffee shop with my grandma.  While we were drinking our coffee, a son of my grandma's friend came to our table.  Let's call him, Harry.  Harry hugged my grandma and asked her questions about her latest series of paintings.  Harry then went to get our coffee cups refilled before heading on his way.    I remember grandma saying, "I like him because he doesn't ignore old people."  At the time, I wasn't sure what she meant, but I get it now. 
 
Let's get out there and value people of all ages.  We all have things to contribute and learn from each other.  It will be a beautiful "Kumbaya Moment."  Promise. 
 
Prairie Eydie
 
 
 
      

 


No comments:

Post a Comment