Monday, June 29, 2020

Chapter 32 - "The Christmas Barrel" FINALLY Arrives

I often ask myself, "How did Laura Ingalls Wilder get through hard times?"  The Ingalls family didn't lack challenges.  There were frozen turkeys and postponed celebrations.  During this period of self-quarantine, I decided to reread The Long Winter to discover - What Would Laura Do?

Mr. Boast looks like he would have been a good influence on Pa.  
The correct train, carrying food and mail, has finally pulled into DeSmet.  Pa and beloved Mr. Boast carry a barrel, between them, back to the house.  Pa calls out to Ma, "Here's that Christmas barrel."  The family circles up and watches intently as Pa pulls out the nails.  During the pandemic, I have become interested in things I would normally take for granted or find boring. 

A Short List of Things I am Watching During the Pandemic:
  • my mother putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle (via Facetime)
  • Sunsets from the deck
  • Hell's Kitchen (this is NOT a recommendation)
  • Neighbors walking by my house (For extra fun, I knock on the window and wave if I see them commenting on my flower beds.)  
  • My cat, Millie, cleaning between her toes 
A fascinator from 1881.
Pa pries off the lid, removes crumpled paper, and begins to lift items out of the barrel.  There is a dress & a glamorous silk shawl for Ma, leather shoes for Laura, a light-blue fascinator for Mary, a coat for Carrie, dresses for little Grace, and two fine white shirts for Pa.  Like the Ingalls, I love second hand clothes.  I have been rummaging through the racks at thrift stores.  Most thrift store require people to try on clothes at home. Good thing I am on summer vacation since I waste lots of time buying and returning clothes to Saint Vincent's.
Je-ru-salem crickets!  I hope I never find one of these in my house!
Pa calls out "Je-ru-salem crickets!" when he lifts a turkey out of the barrel.Pa drops the turkey on the floor and some cranberries roll out.  After Ma makes sure the stores are stocked with food goods, she invites Mr. and Mrs. Boast over "the day after tomorrow" (probably because the turkey needs to thaw) for a Christmas dinner to celebrate Spring.

What Would Laura Do?

  • Find interest in watching simple tasks
  • Delight in second hand clothes
  • Prepare a celebratory dinner for dear friends



See all you Bonnetheads soon for Chapter 33 - "Christmas in May."  It is the last chapter of The Long Winter.  Now how will I occupy my time?

Prairie Eydie


    

No comments:

Post a Comment