Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Art of Practice




I have been continuing the journey of mixed media collage.  (If you missed my initial foray into mixed media, check out The Art of Getting Messy)  It is hard, y'all!  I am learning to embrace practice canvases.  Though, when I started, I was pretty sure I could skip the step of practicing and move right into creating super cool pieces.  Ahhh, the arrogance of the uninformed.  I have a stack of "Beyond Hope" canvases waiting to be carted away. Only one canvas made the cut of being "Kinda Okay Because I Really Need to Work on Mantra Stamping."



I just finished reading the Young Adult book,Vincent and Theo, by Deborah Heiligman.  The author drew on the numerous letters sent between Vincent and his younger brother, Theo, to write a moving, yet extremely depressing, novel.  (Fun fact:  Vincent sent approximately 600 letters to his brother.) Vincent spent most of his life practicing the art of color and striving to learn.  

Vincent forgot to eat and his teeth rotted out because he was so busy practicing.  Oblivious to social norms, Vincent roamed around in stinky clothes.  He simply spent all his time painting.  Theo was an art dealer and Vincent needed his brother's help to get his paintings noticed.  It took years of practice before Theo even considered putting Vincent's painting into his art gallery.  

So many lessons to be learned.  Here we go. . . 

  • Self-care is always important.  No matter how far in love you have fallen with mixed media, or whatever, you still need to brush your teeth and do laundry.  This is especially important on humid summer days.  



My beloved college roommate had this print hanging in our apartment.  Which Van Gogh did you have hanging in your apartment?   


  • Vincent never felt his art was "good enough" and always wanted to improve.  His years of frenzied painting made him, arguably, one of the most famous painters in modern history.  I mean, soon millions of college students will be tacking his paintings up in their dorm rooms.  Practice is necessary if you want to get good at things.  Writers write.  Painters paint.  Gardeners plant. 
  • Maybe it isn't a good idea to base your livelihood solely on your brother's opinion.  It bothers me that Vincent relied so heavily on his brother's opinion.     



I need to invest in some spray paint.

Today I will continue my journey of dancing between paint and collage.  I will celebrate pieces that are good enough and toss aside practice canvases.  Being a tree hugger, I will also check out Pinterest for creative ideas of how to repurpose ugly canvases.  But first  . . breakfast.

Prairie Eydie 

PS - Don't recommend Vincent and Theo to your favorite 11 year old unless you are willing to explain syphilis, prostitutes, and brothels.  

Oh all right.  Here is the "good enough" canvas.







No comments:

Post a Comment