Saturday, March 4, 2017

The Art of Accepting and Expecting

Gretchen Rubin, of Happiness Project fame, says:

 
 
I used to focus only on expecting more from myself.  I would come up with crazy goals.  Take my writing goal for example.  
 
It looks like an inspiring book, right?  The mountain, the birds, the soothing colors. . .
 
I used to be a follower of Julia Cameron's program laid out in the The Artist's Way.  (Okay, follower is too strong of a word. I owned the book and read many pages in it.)  A cornerstone of her program is to write three morning pages in your journal right after you wake up.  In theory, the "Morning Pages" practice could lead you to a clearer mind, less anxiety, and better ideas. 
 
 
Anna:  Duke must you wear a kilt to our wedding?  Duke:  Oh Anna.   We have been through so much together.  Starvation.  The Police Commissioner election.  Avalanches.  Pirates.  Surely we can get past this wedding kilt. 
 
Dutifully, I would set my alarm clock to 4:15 AM so I could write my 3 morning pages.  Because I am from the Midwest, I consistently filled those spiral notebook pages even though I HATED every minute of it.  I wrote grocery lists.  I wrote dialogue for Duke and Anna of General Hospital fame.  I wrote free verse poetry about teaching.  I wrote "I have nothing to write" over and over.  For me, the morning page practice lead to anxiety, dumb ideas, and foggy brain.
 
Now I accept myself and my writing practice.  I keep a one sentence journal.  Every day I write one sentence that sums up the day.  It is okay if the sentences are run-ons because no one is correcting my work.  Here are some of my journal entries:
 
Nov. 24 - I didn't want to cook a Thanksgiving meal, so Gus and I grilled steaks.
 
July 12 - I made two batches of coleslaw today to use up the CSA cabbage and then I got another cabbage in today's CSA share.
 
Aug. 22 - I bought plants back to school today and then left immediately.
 
One sentence can bring back memories of wonderful meals, transitions, and happiness.  I remember August 22, 2016.  It was a super hot day and two of my plants tipped over in the back of my van.  In fact, the dirt is still there!  I had just moved classrooms, again, and was breaking tasks into manageable steps. 
 
Seriously?  Another cabbage?
 
 I still write, of course, but I write when it works into my schedule.  Also, my writing practice doesn't include filling in three pages in my notebook and waking up at 4:15.  It is a balance between  accepting and expecting. 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Love this latest post! It is all about accepting and expecting, isn't it? Makes me think back on your 12 resolutions. How are those coming along after two months? What games have you played with the kids?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen! You are so right - everything does go back to accepting and expecting. I now need to apply this to my middle school students. I am writing a 12 resolution revisit blog and it will be posted within the week. My favorite game to play with the kids is Exploding Kittens. Wait! Wait! Before you judge us - we are saving the kittens from exploding

      Delete
  2. I love this whole post. Although, truthfully, I would pay real money to read more of your Duke and Anna dialogue, even though in my head, Duke sounds remarkably like Arnold Schwarzenegger with a bad Scottish accent...l

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably the only momentum my morning pages ever saw were my General Hospital "scripts." I cannot look at a pic of Duke and Anna without remembering how Anna's disguise was once an eye patch, Duke's accent that seemed so fake but apparently was authentic, and how they set the dance floor on fire with their tango. Sniff. Such fond memories of General Hospital.

    ReplyDelete